Re: [pygame] pygame, LGPL and iPhone

On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 4:03 AM, Jussi Toivola <jtoivola@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm quite sure Python is ok. The apple's license just does not allow
> downloading any extra stuff from the internet. I think they just want
> to control all the application distribution through App Store. Some
> people are using Lua in their App Store apps, so why not Python?
> http://www.plaidworld.com/iphonefaq.txt
>
> I found a good source for LGPL:
> http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview/id/439136.html
> "I strongly recommend you contact the copyright holder prior to
> building a statically linked application for distribution as a
> commercial product."
>
> This sentence on SDL's page confused me: "This license allows you to
> use SDL freely in commercial programs as long as you link with the
> dynamic library."

yes... except there is also the object code sections of the LGPL.

The spirit of the LGPL is that people should be able to change the
LGPL parts of a program to whatever they like.  Dynamic libraries
allow them to do that, and so does distributing your object code.  Of
course distributing your object code allows people to more easily
dissasemble your program... but eh.

> PS. The Symbian port should help with the iPhone porting effort since
> it links the pygame modules statically as well and has the necessary
> stuff for handling static modules already in-place.

yeah, cool :)