Re: [pygame] vidmod hang in pygame.init()

Pete Shinners writes:
 > hmm, i don't suspect this is directly a pygame problem, but more SDL
 > related. have you tried running regular SDL apps remotely? i would
 > suspect you get the same problem?

That's what I suspected too, but didn't have a chance until just now
to sit down and confirm it.  The little pure-c test program at the end
of this message wedges at the same point..  any ideas?  I guess it's
probably time to bump this up to Sam or something.

/jamie

#include <stdio.h>
#include <SDL/SDL.h>

sdl_open(int w, int h, int bpp, Uint32 flags)
{
  /* Initialize the SDL library */
  if (SDL_Init(SDL_INIT_VIDEO) < 0 ) {
    fprintf(stderr,
	    "Couldn't initialize SDL: %s\n", SDL_GetError());
    return(NULL);
  }
  SDL_SetVideoMode(w, h, bpp, flags);
}

main()
{
  sdl_open(1024, 768, 32, 0);
  SDL_Quit();
  printf("ok\n");
}

 > if not there must be something 'funny' in the way pygame is
 > communicating with SDL. if we need to, i'll translate your quick liner
 > into a small C program making the exact SDL calls that pygame makes.

office: 510-643-3573                mail: 3210 Tolman Hall #1650
   lab: 510-642-1950                      U.C. Berkeley
   fax: 801-697-4179			  Berkeley, CA 94720-1650
 email: mazer@socrates.berkeley.edu