[pygame] blending edges

On a purely cosmetic note I was thinking about a way to try and blend the
edges of an image with the background.  After the recent discussion on
clipping I thought that might be a way to do it.  Take an image surface and
incrementally make it more opaque by changing the clipping area and resetting
the alpha of it.  Well the clipping area doesn't seem to apply when dealing
with surface.set_alpha so, so much for that idea.  It has no real purpose, but
I thought it might make things look a bit prettier in an app I'm writing if
this was possible.  Feel free to tell me I'm crazy now :)

Robert