Re: [pygame] Re: Pygaming on the GP2X

I have a gp2x and it's not too bad. The big thing for me was the open-source nature, the sd-card slot, the fairly decent CPU speed (2 x 200MHz).

So far it has almost lived up to my expectations.  Stuff seems to be easy to port, emulators and games run pretty well and some videos play fine. HOWEVER, tv-out seems dodgy at the moment, and  there are some questions about how committed to  open-source the company really is.

Anyway, just be a bit wary of what's being promised, and enjoy!

Luke
PS Also I pre-ordered on the expectation of getting a free case ... I DID NOT! RIPPED OFF! :)

On 07/01/06, Peter Shinners <pete@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, 2006-01-06 at 09:45 -0500, Winchell Chung wrote:
> Does anybody know if there exists any Linux-based
> full-fledged PDAs that have had PyGame ported to them?

The Nokia770 has 3rd party pygame packages. It runs on a full linux
distribution, so it's pretty hackable. I got one of these for Christmas
recently and I'm enjoying it. I will warn you that it has quite a
"bleeding edge" feel to it. You'll have to know your unix quite well to
actually get into the system. I've been learning a lot hacking with it
so far. It's fun, but it also gets a little frustrating since it takes a
bit of tutorial reading, guessing, and irc support to get it customized.
I don't think the device is entirely useful with the vanilla software.

I do not yet have pygame running myself. I do have some SDL games
running though and they run smoothly on the device. My stumbling block
is getting the Python packages I've found installed because they have a
lot of dependencies. I'm also a rookie when it comes to using the SDK
sandbox. I hope to be producing my own packages soon enough.

If you have more questions feel free to ask.
http://pymaemo.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/moin.cgi/
http://pythonologia.blogspot.com/2005/06/python-pygame-e-nokia-770.html