Re: [pygame] Re: Introduction and a game announcement (PySpaceWar 0.9.1)

Hi,

On Sun, Jan 15, 2006 at 09:47:36PM +0100, Horst JENS wrote:
> just want to express my admiration for your game. runs very fast on my
> XP Athlon 2G Hz.

From your email I take it that you use Windows, right?  How large is
your screen resolution?  I developed the game at 1024x768, and have
tried it at 640x480, but I'm sligtly worried the fonts might be too
small (and the rendering might be too slow) at something like 1600x1200.

> The AI is quite good and shot me down 5 times before i
> managed to do my first kill.
> Suggestion:
> Maybe adding an menu-point like 'practice' (where i am invulnerable) to
> learn the game and the controls ?

You can use the two-player mode for target practice.  A help screen that
mentions this, and a few other things (e.g. "don't hold the acceleration
key for too long") would be a good addition.

> I could not start the game before renaming the file 'pyspacewar' into
> 'pyspacewar.py'. Is this the correct way to install the game ?

Yes.  I hadn't realized Python scripts are supposed to have a file name
extension if you want to run them conveniently on Windows.  I'll include
a copy of the 'pyspacewar' script as 'pyspacewar.pyw'.

> Maybe i
> did something wrong because i clicked on the setup.py and test.py -
> files without seeing much effect.

The setup is there mostly for me, to make the distribution archives.
The test script runs all the unit tests, but does so very quickly, so
that you cannot see the results.  You do not need to concern yourself
with either of those scripts if you just want to run the game,

> I started playing around with pygame this year and actually i try to
> find the code for this good-looking red menu you made :=)

The class is HUDMenu in ui.py.  I typed the RGB numbers out of my head,
aiming at something reddish, and then made it slightly translucent, and
with slightly rounded corners.

Cheers,
Marius Gedminas
--
Microsoft does have a Year 2000 problem. We're it.