Re: [pygame] New GUI

On, Tue Jan 22, 2008, Jasper wrote:

> That's rather smug and presumptuous!  Frankly, you have /no idea/ how I
> went about hunting for a python GUI toolkit, nor I would guess anyone else
> you're disparaging.

No, it's exactly what I read in all places. I surely do not know, how
you went about hunting ..., but you do not explain it as well.
And your response, especially the last part seems to show, that such a
mail was necessary in order to get some valuable feedback, not? ;-)

> Moreover, you're knocking Kamilche for doing /precisely/ the same thing you
> have done -- deciding you don't like any of the existing projects, and
> starting your own.  Bravo!

I'm knocking _no one_. Instead I'm generalizing something, Kamilche
said. I had my reasons (no working pygame GUI at the time I started
writing OcempGUI) to write my own and surely Kamilche has his own. But
instead of anyone saying 'all available toolkits do not match my
criteria - there's none that works well enough for me', I'd like to hear
_what_ does not work, _why_ not and what the user/developer expects.
This would lower the work for both, the one who created the framework
(-> better framework) and the one who wants to use it (-> no
reimplementation needed).

> In your search for suggestions, you have also glibly passed over several
> specific points people were looking for, e.g.
> - Do you have a nice GUI interface for laying out widgets?

On which layer? The development layer or visible components? For the
first, I would say yes, the second is somewhat ugly looking at the
current trends for visualization components (default Gtk+ 1/2 like).

> - Do you support transparent widgets?

Yes.

> - Do you have a framework for testing GUIs?

GUI testing using tests is a somewhat impossible task, if you think
about automated tests. If you mean some handy integration checks, please
be more specific on what you mean here. In general, there are no tests
for OcempGUI as an automated test usually does not behave like an end
user.

Regards
Marcus