Re: [pygame] Is PyGame dying?

On Jan 27, 2010, at 9:47 AM, Olof Bjarnason wrote:

2010/1/27 Thomas Ibbotson <thomas.ibbotson@xxxxxxxxx>:
2010/1/27 Olof Bjarnason <olof.bjarnason@xxxxxxxxx>:
2010/1/27 Jon <jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Personally I think PyGame is a wonderful API for building any sort of
complex animation that is secondary to pure 3D.

For example, building beautiful animated menus, or sub-games, or simply
handling I/O, it fits like a glove.

Sure, me too, but do you agree there is a certain uncertainty
concerning PyGame's future?
If you look on the www.pygame.org website you'll notice that
pygame2.0.0-alpha3 was released recently.

Cool!

Is someone working on Python3, for example?

Yes pygame2/pgreloaded has Python 3.1 support.

Nice, I admit I had missed this announcement on the web page.

The impression that PyGame was dying came into my mind because a new
friend of mine asked about writing Python 2d-games, and that he too
had the impression PyGame was not actively developed. Also, my
sndarray-question was left undiscussed for five days. It still is left
undiscussed. That might however be due to the maintainer of sndarray
being on vacation or something, I guess.

Also this may seem to be the case since many of the parts of Pygame could be seen as "done", in that they wrap the underlying SDL calls, and those haven't changed in years.

--Noah