Re: [pygame] Capabilities of Pygame

On 12/01/12 06:04 PM, Ryan Strunk wrote:

*From:*owner-pygame-users@xxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-pygame-users@xxxxxxxx] *On Behalf Of *Christopher Night
*Sent:* Thursday, January 12, 2012 7:54 PM
*To:* pygame-users@xxxxxxxx
*Subject:* Re: [pygame] Capabilities of Pygame

> Seriously, what kind of game do you want to make?

I have a couple in mind: an internet multi-player side scroller based on the rules to Sparkle, a sandbox-type world combining missions and social situations, various sports titles. All of the games will take place solely in an audio medium.

If I understand correctly, these games will be sound only. If so, Pygame may not be the best choice. The SDL library, on which Pygame is built, plays background music fine. However, sound effects are another issue. Anything but short sound snippets can show a noticeable delay between when the sound is initiated and when it is heard. SDL does not store sound samples in audio memory. They are fed to the sound card each time. This copy time leads to the delay. Also, though SDL does support streaming, Pygame does not. Everything must be loaded before played.

> If you're working on a game that you could conceivably write by yourself or with a small team, python will probably be up for the job. In neither case is performance going to be the main consideration of you personally.

That’s good to know. With as much as critics of Python harp on the speed, I was worried that resulting software was going to crawl along at a snail’s pace. Are there any situations that come to mind where Python wouldn’t work?

Thanks a lot for all your help.

Best,

Ryan

That said, Python/Pygame is still a good way to become familiar with game development. It is a good framework for developing a project, which can be rewritten to performance later.

Lenard Lindstrom