Re: [pygame] Capabilities of Pygame

On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 9:04 PM, Ryan Strunk <ryan.strunk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> If you're working on a game that you could conceivably write by yourself or with a small team, python will probably be up for the job.

That’s good to know. With as much as critics of Python harp on the speed, I was worried that resulting software was going to crawl along at a snail’s pace. Are there any situations that come to mind where Python wouldn’t work?

It's a little complicated. If you write everything in pure python only using the pygame library, then yes I can easily think of some examples where it wouldn't work at all, or not have good performance. However, some (maybe all?) of these can be solved by finding another library written specifically for that purpose to help you. And, as Sean Wolfe said, there are people working on speeding up python, and don't forget that computers are getting faster all the time. So it might not even be the case in a few years. Given that, if I were making a game that relied heavily one of the following things, I would reconsider python:

This has some similarities with Silver's list, which is also good.

-Christopher