Re: [pygame] very easy snippets to start: where from i can get?

On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 7:04 AM, Brad Montgomery <brad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Also, on the pygame.org home page, there is a link to
> a pygame book for sale.

I've read McGugan's Beginning PyGame book, and it does a fairly nice
job introducing Python in general (I think the first 2 chapters do
this).  If you're wanting to learn Pygame it's a Great book.  If
you're just learning python, it will be useful, but definitely not
your only resource.

> P.S. Do not try to use pygame without having learned
> to program using Python alone first.

I actually learned python because of pygame, and I DID use pygame with
no prior python experience (though I had a LOT of programming
experience in languages like C, Java, PHP... etc), so it CAN be done.
Having said that, I heartily suggest you do some other stuff with
python and then come back to pygame.  IMHO, it will make your pygame
experience more enjoyable.  I think the python tutorial is a really
good place to start:  http://docs.python.org/tut/tut.html
I learned Python because of PyGame too.  Python is such a simple language--everything makes sense!  I spent a few months working on some projects, and before I knew it, I was fluent.  My advice--whether or not you buy a book--is to practice Python programming incessantly.  When you start a new project, believe you can do it--take the problems one at a time, but most importantly, sit down and code!
Ian