Re: [pygame] pygame slow on linux (ubuntu)

The i810 used to be supported with hardware opengl under X11.  I used
to have a celron +i810 combo.  I can't really remember the 2d
performance at that time...

Definitely dirty rects are the way to go if you game can use them.

On 6/14/06, Stephen Parkes <sparkes@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 6/13/06, spotter . <talonspotter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thank you all for your advice and help. I have been trying to move all
> the code now to .convert() and to render updates and dirty rects, and
> I already see an increase in speed on windows at least. I will work at
> making the code optimised and will let you all know if that does the
> trick under ubuntu with my video card, although I should just inverst
> in cheap card anyway.

I am also using an old intel (i810) onboard video (this time under
debian) with everything set up correctly I get terrible performance.
I tried pygame, SDL and C and OpenGL and C and it's terrible all along
with C + SDL only offering a very slight increase over pygame of under
1fps.  I came to conclusion that it's all the display drivers fault.

When I had a similar chipset and similar spec cpu in a compaq laptop I
got what I remember as better performance under XFree86 then I do now
under xorg.  Perhaps there is some newish option that these older
drivers don't support or then again perhaps I just have fond memories
of that machine and wish I could afford such good quality up to date
hardware these days :)

Neatly written dirty rects with one call to pygame.display.update per
cycle seems to offer the best solution.  I managed to get many
hundreds of small blits (simple particle engine and sprites) per
second to run at 100fps without throttling on a Celeron 600, i810,
256mb ram using dirty rects when calls to flip each cycle rarely got
into double figures 'walking' a block around the screen.

sparkes
--
Steve 'sparkes' Parkes - tshirts http://nerd.ws - code http://zx-81.com
   Autistic LUG http://autisticlug.org - blog http://sp.arkes.co.uk