Re: [pygame] Moving to SDL 1.2.10

Marcus von Appen wrote:
Hi,

Pygame is known for having a good backwards compatibility towards SDL
and related packages. This also means maintaining a lot of overhead, a
complex build structure with flags unknown to the most and a lot of work
for packagers and distributors.

SDL 1.2.10 added a huge set of definitions, constants and functions,
which allow handy and in some cases even runtime dependent checks for
the availability of certain features. This also would ease pygame
development, as we can provide a more fine-grained build procedure, ease
the packaging for distributors and, and, and...

Thus I wonder, how many of you have earlier SDL versions in use, see
problems in dropping support for earlier SDL versions, will experience
compatibility problems and whatever else might be related to this.

The Windows version of Pygame 1.8 comes bundled with SDL 1.2.13. The only SDL related problem reported so far is the switch to directx as the default video driver. Also the font size is slightly altered, though that could be due to freetypes. Otherwise no SDL specific issues have been reported.

--
Lenard Lindstrom
<len-l@xxxxxxxxx>