Re: [pygame] Optimizing py2exe for pygame

6 files, 72 ***KB***, uncompressed and uncompiled. Add another 97KB if you want to include freesansbold.ttf.

I understand it needs a pile of other modules to function properly as an EXE but I believe the 7MB pile is far too big.

Tcl... irrelevant to the game.
CD ROM... ditto
SSL... ditto
Movie... why?
The list goes on...

I see reasonably well packaged windows binaries on pygame.org and I am curious about how its done.

Peter Shinners wrote:
Python itself will load many modules at startup, besides what your game uses. Things like "warnings" are needed to run, and that in turn requires "re" and a pile of others.

The bundled Python should only be about 1-2 MB once compressed. How big is your game if you just zip it? I'm guessing about 5 MB. The py2exe installer for Solarwolf is only 3 MB, and that is 90% game.

Chris wrote:
py2exe is overkill on the standard instructions.

As far as python is concerned, I know which modules I need because I imported them--pygame, random and os. The output, however, seems to give me every module on my python 2.5.2 setup.

Has anyone on this list written a py2exe setup script to get something more... sensible? My 7MB binary dist directory works* but 7 megabytes is far and away too big for my game.

Would I use include to compile only the modules I need or do I need to makes a lengthy exclude list?