Re: [pygame] Robot game programing (and some other stuff)

On Tuesday 19 March 2002 06:07 pm, John Eikenberry wrote:
> This is not in relation to what you asked, but I thought you might be
> interested. A while back I helped out a bit with a python based robot
> combat game. It aborted before becoming playable, but you might find
> the code interesting. I still have it on CD backup.

I was going to point Leonardo at your web pages, but they've moved :)

A while ago, I tried to develop a space strategy with the help of a number of
other people, John included (remember NSC, John? :). In the end, I quit my
job with the government and thusly ran out of the huge amounts of time
required to actually develop such a game :)

Sadly, most of the links I have are no longer valid. That includes the link to
the mailing list archive of the python bots-list. Oh well :(

Greg Stein's links still work though:

  http://www.pythonpros.com/gstein/war/

For the ill-fated NSC project, we decided to implement a whole new language
and runtime that was specifically designed for robot programming games. It
was heavily influenced by Python, with some additions for event handling and
a few other things. It was quite neat, but got nowhere due to a lack of round
tuits. The spec and initial code are still available for anyone who cares :)

.... I wonder if anyone would want to see that old NSC stuff these days ;)

      Richard