Re: [pygame] Re: PCR

>I'd love to see a few
>"vanilla" games, like a generic boardgame, with classes & functions for
>displaying the board, pieces, moving pieces around, and handling scores, and
>so on.

I think that another useful thing would be game idioms and patterns for
gaming. It's a unique system compared to other object oriented systems,
which is why I am investigating pygame now. My background tends to be in
information processing object systems, whereas gaming object systems
have a number of hybrid characteristics:

1. State machines
2. Rational agents
3. Event driven user interface
4. Graphical algorithm platform
5. Realtime systems
etc

All of which are required to build a game. How does one go about
organizing their objects? Which patterns are most useful for the
different subsystems? I'm developing a number of algorithmic
demonstrations in pygame for academic projects, and I've found that my
repository of patterns that I used for other classes of systems don't
always fit as elegantly into a game architecture.

This sort of organizational architecture is of a distinctly different
class of study than implementations of various effect algorithms, and
isn't necessarily best encapsulated by a bunch of small to large
implementations that someone just getting involved must sift through to
find the most elegant solutions.

I know that pattern work has been done before in python, and there are a
few whitepapers on different GoF patterns available. There even used to
be a patterns in python mailing list associated with the main python
development thrust. It seems that it's hard to get people motivated to
contribute to such projects. Perhaps it's the abstractness, and perhaps
it's too obtuse for most developers to understand, especially if they
only have training in the semantics of OO programming.

Thoughts?

robert