Re: [pygame] Mac OS X Rosetta (PPC)

On Mar 4, 2008, at 8:59 PM, Sean Berry wrote:

I just rebuilt my pygame program under Mac OS X, using the Python 2.4 universal binary, and while it runs fine on my Intel Mac (just like it ran fine when I didn't use universal binaries), when I pass it through Rosetta to simulate a PPC Mac, it runs very slowly.

Basically, should I blame myself, or is there a known issue with pygame and PPC Macs?

My assumption is that rosetta emulates a PPC processor on intel. Such processor-level emulation is typically much slower than running on the native processor (even if the Intel processor is significantly faster than the PPC it emulates). It's probably only useful for smoke-testing (i.e., does it work at all?) for games since they are so performance sensitive.

I have an Intel and PPC mac at home and pygame runs fine on both. The PPC is a few times slower, but its performance is adequate. One game I wrote defaulted to a lower res on PPC so it would be fast enough.

-Casey