Re: [pygame] ASM code in pygame

When you offered to write Intel versions of the AT&T code I looked for a way to automate some of the translation process. So I tried using the -masm=intel and -S compiler options to translate the inline assembly code and write it to an .s file. The inlined instructions were simply copied. So it is unlikely gcc can handle VC like __asm statements, where the compiler definitely needs to understand assembly code. The MSDN does say the VC compiler has a built in assembler. gcc compilers only generates assembly output for the next stage in the compilation process. So I tried compiling a simple assembly code example in MSDN which calls printf, and gcc C did not recognize the __asm keyword. Finally, I just found a mingw-users thread* where Thomas Heller of ctypes fame was looking for a inline assembly formated recognized by both gcc and VC. No luck. The advice was to use assembly files and a free assembler like NASM or as. Not helpful when distutils doe not directly support assembler files. This is not promising.

Lenard

* http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=20060602080833.005cjbdekmyo4c4w%40mail.progw.org

Richard Goedeken wrote:
Hey, that's great! Are you sure that this switch allows one to write inline asm in Intel format? The man page says:

 -masm=dialect
Output asm instructions using selected dialect. Supported choices are intel or att (the default one). Darwin does not support intel.

I'll give a try some time.

Richard

René Dudfield wrote:
hello,

for your info...

gcc supports intel syntax with a command line option.

-masm=intel

SDL uses macros for portable asm, I think.