Re: [pygame] MMX Transform for Win32

Deciding how to handle assembly code in future Pygame releases will probably take up its own mailing list thread. But when I do a Google search on the topic of Intel assembly code and gcc I get this, http://www.acm.uiuc.edu/sigmil/RevEng/ch02.html , which claims the GNU assembler 'as' "takes input as an AT&T or Intel syntax asm file". Pygame's assembly routines will likely end up in there own libraries and be linked in, possibly dynamically, as needed. So gcc C will no longer be a factor for assembly language compatibility.

Lenard

Richard Goedeken wrote:

A good portion of the work that I do in my day job involves writing MMX/SSE2 code, most of which needs to run in both Win32 and Linux, and on both 64-bit and 32-bit systems. So I deal with this problem a lot. To my knowledge, there is no effort to add an Intel-style inline assembly capability to GCC. If someone knows of such an effort then I would be very interested to learn about it. I agree that writing, testing, and supporting 2 or 3 implementations of the same routine with #ifdefs really sucks.

The other way I deal with this problem at work is to use an external assembler such as NASM. This can be made to work under both Linux and Win32 with the same assembly source code quite easily. The disadvantage with this approach is that it introduces another tool dependency.