Re: [pygame] AGG library

Brian Fisher wrote:
On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 7:54 PM, René Dudfield <renesd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
One issue is code size, and dependencies.  AGG is nice, but quite big
 and complex.  So including it in pygame might be a bit of a problem
 maintenance wise.  Is the older non-GPL version being maintained by
 anyone?

AGG is a templated system for building custom software graphics
pipelines with a huge set of pieces already implemented. So in the end
the compiled code size is essentially only what you used. It's similar
with the complexity in that you can ignore parts you don't care to
use.

AGG may be "templated", but it is not a template library. After downloading it I notice the first step is to run automake. There is a source directory full of .cpp files that need compiling to libraries. Now we have a problem. We would have both a C++ Python extension module and separate C++ dependencies. And I am reasonably sure that the extension module and dependencies will have to be built with the same C++ compiler to work. So for Windows their is no including the AGG libraries in the prebuilts package. They will have to be built along with Pygame by distutils. The relevant pieces of AGG would become part of the Pygame source distribution and presumably included in SVN. There is also the task of working out the AGG build steps and adding them to setup.py. So how badly are the AGG features desired?

--
Lenard Lindstrom
<len-l@xxxxxxxxx>