Re: [pygame] shadow demo

On Sat, Mar 15, 2008 at 8:45 PM, René Dudfield <renesd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
You might need to move the light around, or move the objects around
for the shadowing to work.  But I've managed to use other models for
the floor and the object casting a shadow.
I haven't.  A single quad shadowing a 1024x1024 quad eludes me.
Yeah, rendering to a texture might be able to work... but I can't
think how at the moment.  Lots of different techniques to try out...
there's a lot of papers on the subject - but the code isn't always
working or existing at all to try it out.  I hate implementing things
from papers without working examples... because sometimes they Make
Shit Up (MSU)... hehe and it's wasted effort.
I've had random bits of code, which I tried to port from C to Python.  Then, someone says that it doesn't work in C when I've spent five hours wondering why their stupid code isn't running.
On Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 2:31 PM, Ian Mallett <geometrian@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 3:11 PM, Casey Duncan <casey@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[snip]

> > If you want real-time soft shadows (i.e., blurred) then you best bet
> > is probably a custom shader, though you might be able to get a decent
> > approximation by applying a rendered texture multiple times at
> > different scales and opacities. With a shader you'll have ultimate
> > control, however.
> I imagine so, but actually, all I really want at this point is a working
> method of getting something.  For example, I can't load my own models
> without the shadows messing up.  Again, a single quad, 1 unit square,
> shadowing a larger quad, 1024 units square, would be far more informative
> than any demo--again, simplicity helps.
hehe, yeah.
or
glEnable(GL_JUST_WORK);
glEnable(GL_SHADOW)
glEnable(GL_DOOM3)
glEnable(GL_MEANING_OF_LIFE)
I think if you place lights in certain places the shadows can look
nice.  So for some uses it is pretty cool, and I guess it is fairly
simple to code, and works fairly fast :)
Yep.  Shadows really help the 3D illusion.
Ian