Re: [pygame] vista testing...

The buffer setting doesn't seem to make a differens.
The key seem to be the sampling rate. Lots of scratching at 44k sound
but OK at 22k. But even then I get scratches if I start some way into the music
rather then at the start. The later problem I had in pygame 1.7 too.

In pygame 1.7 music worked OK in Vista at 44k.
I have tried both ogg and mp3 in pygame 1.8.
Have you tried playing music at 44k on XP machines?  Maybe this is a more
general problem.

Another thing that seem to have changed is that if a path to a sound file
is wrong it doesn't cause an exception. Instead it returns an empty sound object..
Is that really intended ?

René Dudfield skrev:
yeah, I think generally increasing the buffer size helps people.

For rc5 I increased the default buffer size to 1024 * 3... which has
worked in the past to fix things up on most peoples computers.

Unfortunately increasing it over 3*1024 starts to make the sound lag
noticable... at least to me.  So I think it will have to be a per
game, or per user setting until it gets fixed propperly.

If someone could lodge a bug report at:
http://bugzilla.libsdl.org/

That would be greatly appreciated.

I think it's best to fix this properly in SDL_mixer... but for now the
work around is to increase the default buffer size on a per computer
basis.

cheers,