Re: [pygame] Does PyGame support Ogg Vorbis "OOTB"?

a quick response is that pygame can be compiled with various parts not
included, so depending on who compiled pygame or the underlying sdl
and how, it can be missing support for various pieces and file
formats.

...however, in all official installers for windows and mac all
optional components are built in, and furthermore on those platforms
the installers include all binary dependencies. i.e. no features or
file format support will be available or not depending on what the
user has installed besides pygame (note I'm not saying python modules
pygame interoperates with are installed though, i.e. you got to
install PyOpenGL or numpy seperate)

So basically I'm saying I can see there may be feature & file format
support problems in what I would consider exceptional cases, most of
which I would expect is Linux. I think it would be great to understand
those cases better and possibly provide solutions for them (i.e. make
sure the ports files install all the right stuff, fix a distro, etc.)
so Terry (and others) please provide details on cases where a pygame
feature doesn't seem to be included.

-more below-

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 10:43 AM, Terry Hancock
<hancock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  I'm writing a tutorial for Python using PyGame, and one thing
>  that bothers me is that I'm not entirely certain that my PyGame
>  is a plain installation.

How did you install?

>  In fact, I'm pretty certain that I have some extras installed,
>  which makes me worry that some stuff that works for me may not
>  work for people reading the tutorial.

What OS are you using? what makes you think you have extras?

>  I've already made sure to use BMP files exclusively for images.

Why BMP files exclusively? what image files are you avoiding? Why are
you avoiding them

>  But what about sound files? Does pygame.mixer.music *always*
>  support Ogg files? I know my installation does.

SDL_mixer can be built without ogg vorbis support - but I don't see
why it would be. again, if there is a case where it is, it would be
good to get that fixed.

>  Also, one person has complained about installation problems on
>  Fedora Core and also on OS X. Are there binary bundles that
>  work well on those platforms? I assume Windows is covered,
>  and I know the Debian installation "just works".

I don't know about Fedora, but it's my expectation that OS X prebuilt
installer support for pygame 1.8 is sufficient for all needs. If there
is any circumstance where that is not the case, please let the list
know so it can be fixed.

Also, OS X support for pygame 1.7 has been lacking in that a prebuilt
python 2.5 installer was not available for a long period of time,
which may be where that part of the complaint originated.