Re: [pygame] Does PyGame support Ogg Vorbis "OOTB"?

On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 07:21:26AM -0500, FT wrote:

> Hi!
>
>     I had asked before but centered it on recording and was given the page
> for the mixer but no record features. The burning onto CD is resolved and
> works fine but do we have a way to translate wav to OGG?
>
>     I would like to know if someone has written a module to convert formats
> into other formats?
>
>     I have not gone to the tutorial page mentioned below yet, but would like
> to know since OGG files are much smaller then wav files.
>
>         Bruce

If you mean a way to convert wav to ogg inside a pythong program, then
no, but if you are just talking about converting wav to ogg in general,
yes, there are plenty of tools.

On Linux look for the oggenc program, which comes standard as part of
the vorbis-tools

On windows you can use the graphical OggdropXPd from
http://www.rarewares.org/ogg-oggdropxpd.php

And another good option is the SoX tool from http://sox.sourceforge.net/

And finally, if you want something really graphical, with editing and
filter&effect capabilities too, The http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
sound recorder/editor can save/load both wav and ogg format. It runs on
all three major platforms.

---
James Paige