Re: [pygame] Google Summer of Code participation

Can anyone explain or comment this topic of the gsoc2009ideas?

Math for pygame (vectors, matrix, etc.)

Using numpy is always an option, but there's a few reasons to include some types useful in graphics and games:

Be aware that you should be familiar with the basics of vector and linear algebra already. If you just started with the OO parts of Python, but have some good knowledge about what is written above, this might be the project for you.

In the wiki we have 2DVectorClass and 3DVectorClass classes. Why these classes are not so good? Or what I can improve on that?

What other classes are good to add to pygame? Matrix, quaternion, what else? Probably I'll apply on that. I'm thinking in add useful algorithms to my application (like the AI module listed on the gsoc2009ideas).

I'm a computer engineer student, and I started with pygame last year, doing a project with wiimote and led tracking to create some interactive games/examples.

If someone have tips about this, it'll be great.

Thanks,
Iuri de Silvio
Computer engineer, Technological Institute of Aeronautics (ITA) - Brazil

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 6:49 PM, Devon Scott-Tunkin <djvonfunkin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Please do not mix font and image formats up. Focus on one of them, as
>implementing a bit of this and a bit of that is unlikely to be
>accepted. The main reason for this is that both are completely different
>areas and as such need several special considerations and probably API
>design changes to get all - to be planned - features into them.

I'll focus on one before I apply then, probably image formats, depending on which I understand best and find more interesting after some research.

>SVG would be some cool and huge task, I guess. As there is no
>cross-platform SVG library (to my knowledge and no, cairo-svg's not the
>best option here) to rely on, this would be a nice project and require
>you to show us some good work of you (because SVG is a complex topic).

ImageMagick does SVG, although incomplete. I don't know how useful that would be. Inkscape's libnr might be something to look at, although it might be saying something that they use cairo for faster rendering in outline mode.  If I had to roll my own from scratch, yeah that would very likely be beyond my current capabilities for the summer.

Devon