Re: [pygame] Clarification on GSoC project ideas

Hi,

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 6:07 AM, Oge <kilop84@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am a former participant in Google Summer of Code (for Eclipse). I
> have done lots of work in Ruby on Rails, C, Python, and Java. I would
> like to participate in GSoC with pygame because my Ph.D. thesis work
> is starting to lean in the area of authoring environments for games.
> However, I have never written games with a lot of animation and I need
> the experience. Could you please give me clarification on the
> following three projects that I'm interested in so I can choose which
> to apply for?
>
> - Improved Sprite and Scene System
> What aspects of the current system are not suitable for different
> kinds of games? I looked at the current sprite documentation and it
> sounded very general. I would be interested in creating a sprite
> system based on functional reactive animation (e.g.
> http://www.haskell.org/yampa/).

Some improvements could be:

- tiles/large scrollable areas.
- rotation and scaling, using cached rotations/scaled versions.
- itegration with the physics module.

> -Pgreloaded documentation
> I would like this project because having to write academic papers
> often has improved my writing skills. However, I think the project is
> a bit too small. Perhaps, I could expand it to a sphinx-based system
> for the existing pygame documentation. Another option would be for me
> to write examples with very detailed documentation (using noweb
> perhaps: http://www.cs.tufts.edu/~nr/noweb/).

This is not a good project.  Google has a policy about no
documentation projects.

> - Pygame Website Rewrite
> One of the larger projects I've worked on is a health information
> databases (which is essentially a CMS for patients and doctors:
> https://www.intermedsonline.com/). I have also looked into different
> off-the-shelf CMSes with which to upgrade my custom system. This
> experience will help me in porting the site to sthg. like Django.
>
> I hope to hear from you all soon,

This would probably work by first reimplementing the current website
using python, then publishing that, and finally adding more features.

Then most likely adding features listed on the pygame todo page (
http://www.pygame.org/wiki/todo#Website ).  I think a final stage
would be to implement features based on feedback during the process.
However feel free to try and get feedback about what features are
wanted before you make your application.

Note, that you can come up with your own ideas too... it's just good
to discuss them with us first.

Also if you have any ideas for the pyopengl project, that'd be good too.