Re: [pygame] Optimization, double buffered pygames

Pete Shinners <shredwheat@attbi.com> writes:

> Syver Enstad wrote:
> > I've designed it to use double buffering, so it has to draw the
> entire
>
> > world for each frame (HWSURFACE|DOUBLEBUF). What I find a little
> > strange is that the game runs faster in a window than fullscreen. I
> am
>
> > running on win2k.

> what is the speed difference? there is a good chance the fullscreen
> version is waiting for a vertical retrace before doing the double
> buffered flip.

Yes, I've considered that, but isn't it unlikely considering that the
game ran at 30 fps in fullscreen mode, after adding some more code it
ran under 20 fps in fullscreen mode, but about 34 fps in windowed
mode. I can understand that the drop is relatively huge from 30 to
under 20 because it has to vsync, but not why the windowed version
runs faster.

--

Vennlig hilsen

Syver Enstad