Re: [pygame] pygame init() problem...

Stuart wrote:
This is running under windows 2000, and has run their with the same mix of hardware on several different machine for about 6 months now, but suddenly I have a machine where pygame refuses to init(), infact it just locks up the machine.
locking up the machine is scary. from an interactive interpreter you can try initializing each module one at a time. something like this should be interesting..

import pygame
pygame.display.init()
pygame.mixer.init()
pygame.joystick.init()
pygame.cdrom.init()
pygame.font.init()

i'm quite certain it will lock on either the display or mixer init. we can run pygame without DirectX which is probably the problem here, try the commands like this..

import pygame, os
os.environ['SDL_VIDEODRIVER'] = 'windib'
pygame.display.init()
pygame.mixer.init()

that will probably run fine, since it does no special access of directx hardware. just runs with regular win32 api calls. if that does run i'd recommend trying an upgrade or reinstall of directx, probably the video drivers too.

if it still won't run, but 'windib' works ok, just setup a systemwide environment variable for that machine.