[pygame] pygame init() problem...

Hello again people.

I've suddenly developed a problem in a piece of pygame code.

This is running under windows 2000, and has run their with the same mix of
hardware on several different machine for about 6 months now, but suddenly I
have a machine where pygame refuses to init(), infact it just locks up the
machine.

I can cause this with code as simple as:

import pygame
pygame.init()

Now, to try and localise this I would like to drill as far down the init chain
as I can, I tried a pygame.base.init() but that also immediately locked up.

Can anyone point me to more infomation as to the initialisation sequence?

I know a re-install would be a good idea, but I really want to identify what
is causing this problem if I can.

Regards,
Stuart W.