Re: [pygame] pygame init() problem...

> locking up the machine is scary. from an interactive interpreter you can
> try initializing each module one at a time. something like this should
> be interesting..
>
> import pygame
> pygame.display.init()
> pygame.mixer.init()
> pygame.joystick.init()
> pygame.cdrom.init()
> pygame.font.init()
>
> i'm quite certain it will lock on either the display or mixer init. we
> can run pygame without DirectX which is probably the problem here, try
> the commands like this..
>
> import pygame, os
> os.environ['SDL_VIDEODRIVER'] = 'windib'
> pygame.display.init()
> pygame.mixer.init()
>
> that will probably run fine, since it does no special access of directx
> hardware. just runs with regular win32 api calls. if that does run i'd
> recommend trying an upgrade or reinstall of directx, probably the video
> drivers too.
>
> if it still won't run, but 'windib' works ok, just setup a systemwide
> environment variable for that machine.

Hello Pete, thank you very much for your information.
I've finally got the machine in question back (borrowed for 'a day', #!@$#~!
just back now) so I can check some of this.

The machine hard-locks in pygame.mixer.init()
Setting to windib for the videodriver does not help.

The rest of those init's seem to work, but trying to bypass
pygame.mixer.init() using some dirty hacks and calling pygame.init() also
causes a lockup at present (I don't need sound at all, so mixer is
unnescessary)

Next step is to dig deeper and see if I can find a workable way of dissabling
mixer to further understand the situation.

Regards,
Stuart W.