Re: [pygame] pygame init() problem...

On Tue, 27 May 2003 22:19, theGREENzebra wrote:
> > The machine hard-locks in pygame.mixer.init()
>
> Does the machine have sound hardware, and is it in use?

Well, Having investigated a bit further....

Yes, the machine has sound hardware, several sets in fact :(

It has onboard 6-channel crappy motherboard audio (genuine intel 845G
motherboard here..), as well as a matrox digisuite-LE broadcast TV board,
which also provides a whole load of directX services, including audio,
mixing, video capture, playback, etc, etc, etc.

I have found that if I set the prefered directX sound to the motherboard audio
everything is OK, the digisuite takes that setting by default when it
installs it's drivers.

I've not seen this problem before with a digisuite and onboard audio, I guess
it is somehow an interaction between the drivers for this particular
motherboard audio and the digisuite, who can tell.

I'm not too suprised, these digisuite boards are rather unusual devices, and
there drivers are a lot of the 'unusual' side, so I blame them totally :)

Anyway, workaround identified and another windows 'feature' burnt into
memory..

Regards,
Stuart W.