Re: [pygame] Python, Pygame and Performance

A good point - but your case may not be typical.
My guess is that the most successful python programmers are ones who can take on a game in any language. Sure it might help someone finish a project that they might otherwise drop - but more likely someone can pick it up, and take on (and complete) a bigger task using Python. Your case were true, then where is the huge wealth of little games written by these people? (the list the Pygame site is nice, but far from huge/)
For me, Python w/ Pygame has made writing games simple enough to give me the needed push to begin teaching myself. In the past I'd written some text-based games and old Atari'ish games with ANSI graphics but had never made the jump to anything modern other than reading a few books on theory. I can concentrate on the concepts I'm working on instead of fighting with implementation details such as I'd have to worry about in C/C++ or assembly. Get a game working decently in Python and then, with effort, I should be able to make it really speedy by rewriting certain parts in C. Also, like programming on less than cutting edge hardware (I develop on a 233Mhz computer.) it forces the programmer to make an effort to optimize rather than just throwing more crap at the problem. Good, for those of us who are annoyed at the ever climbing specs needed to do the same tasks.