Re: [pygame] pygame documentation

Jasper Phillips wrote:

On Thu, 20 May 2004, Pete Shinners wrote:

Overall I find the pygame docs much more succinct, although the pyopengl
docs are more comprehensive. The main thing the pyopengl docs have that
pygame docs don't are links to examples using the methods in question. This
is very nice, e.g.

http://pyopengl.sourceforge.net/documentation/manual/glTexImage2D.3G.xml

We have two major advantages with PyOpenGL; professionally written docs for the C level (and because of the low-level nature of C, those have to be fairly extensive), and a formal specification for the system. We just take the C docs and drops in two sections, one with the Python signatures, and one with auto-generated links to Python sample code from various project's CVS repositories.

Verbosity at that level is a good thing IMO. Most readers find the OpenGL reference docs quite terse, yet they explicitly cover each flag (with a paragraph describing the purpose and effect of each), each parameter, the major interactions between parameters, and generally a fairly good description of the why, and what for the function itself.

What's missing is the "how", which is what the links to Python sample code gives us. The docs for a function are also cross-linked to related functions, which is a considerable help for those new to the system. The thing about the OpenGL reference is that you can almost imagine building your own OpenGL renderer from them... that spec-like text is going to be a little voluminous compared with user-only docs, but it does mean that everyone works from the same page so-to-speak.

I find the PyGame docs a little terse, but I can't say I've found them to be deficient (with sample code at hand, anyway). They are a very different style, but that tends to make the system seem smaller, which is probably a good thing for not scaring new users :) .

Have fun,
Mike

Mike C. Fletcher
Designer, VR Plumber, Coder