Re: [pygame] Advice on Game Engine

Bob Ippolito wrote:

On May 3, 2005, at 9:55 PM, Jasper wrote:

OpenGL offers a 2D game smooth scrolling, zooming and rotation. There are several frameworks like Pyui (which is ok, but defunct) built on top of OpenGL+Pygame, but you can also combine it with something like wxPython if you don't need much control over your widgets.

You can't combine ANY GUI toolkit (wxPython, GTK, etc.) with pygame in a cross-platform fashion, because SDL sacrifices that feature for platform independence and ease of development. If you're using wxPython, you're going to have to toss pygame, or run them in separate processes (threads is not good enough cross-platform).

-bob

Good point about crossplatform-ness. I only played around with it a little, but by my recollection you didn't have to run pygame and wxPython in seperate processes or seperate threads, although it was a bit of a pain in the ass to get them to work together (especially if you wanted Twisted too) as each part wanted it's mainloop to be in charge.

What makes you say they need to be in seperate processes?

-Jasper