Re: [pygame] SOC Proposal: Networking for Pygame

On Sun, 2006-05-07 at 11:48 -0500, Bryce Allen wrote:
> I'm a student interested in working on Pygame for Google's Summer of Code. I'm
> working on a proposal to add an event based networking framework to Pygame,
> inspired by this Wiki entry:

Just so you know, there are already two other pygame networking
proposals for Google's SoC. I think there may be another coming which
would give 4 candidates.

Of all the proposals I've seen, yours looks most detailed. This is good
because the others are vague on implementation. The other proposals all
include a little background about the experience of the student, which
would be good to add to yours.

One thing to be aware of is that the SDL event stack is limited to 256
elements. SDL is pretty poor at handling when the stack fills, so it may
not be easy to recover, especially in a networked environment.

I think something like this would be great. There just aren't many
Pygame projects out there with networking. Simple game concepts can be
new and exciting when rolled in with some simple networking. We need a
core of utilities to handle the chores of connection management.