Re: [pygame] file mods and svn props for executables

Marcus von Appen wrote:
On, Wed May 13, 2009, Lenard Lindstrom wrote:

mva@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Marius Gedminas <marius@xxxxxxxxx>:

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 09:46:29PM +0200, Marcus von Appen wrote:
[...]
  sh myfoo.py

works just great, even without the executable bit (as supposed by bourne
shells).
No it does not.  Please do not spread disinformation.

Just checked it multiple times - it seems to be system- and shell-dependent,
so I'm terribly sorry for writing nonsense.

Could be something that is turned off by default. Out of curiosity, does your shell trick work with a python file without a sha-bang line?

No.
As for the executable mode let's compromise. No files in SVN will have an svn:executable property. But I will add a script to trunk that sets the executable mode for appropriate files, setup.py, config.py, run_tests.py and the examples. First I will verify that SVN ignores modes when committing.

Sounds sufficient for making the installer and source packages. Should
the pygame.examples module have executable python files installed then
or is will pygame.examples tagged onlz for the documentation and example
distribution?

I cannot speak from experience since it is not an issue with Windows. But I would suggest no installed files should be executable. Making examples and setup.py executable is a convenience for developers. Installed examples should be run by importing. I will have to add the equivalent of pygame.tests.go to examples:

python -c "import pygame.examples.go" movieplayer <mp-args>

The main() equivalent is too awkward:

python -c "from pygame.examples.movieplayer import main; main('somefilepath.mpg')"

Lenard