Re: [pygame] blitting from-to surface with per-pixel alpha doesn't work...

On Monday 28 November 2005 13:48, Randy Kaelber fired a shotgun at the
keyboard and the following appeared:
> On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 01:53:25PM -0500, Matt Bailey wrote:
> > I would probably still use software rendering for anything like a card
> > game, strategy game (maybe), or any of the myriad of classical desktop
> > puzzle games. For most realtime stuff, I'd go with OpenGL.
>
> What resources would you recommend for learning how to work with OpenGL?
> Everything I've seen so far I've really had a hard time wrapping my brain
> around, and I'd like to think I'm a fair to middlin' programmer and I'm
> certainly not a math-o-phobe (though my linear algebra is a mite bit
> rusty).  I've tried to teach myself OpenGL and each time I only feel like
> I half get it.  I just haven't had any "aha!" moments with it yet.

	Mmmm, actually the modified NeHe tutorials that come with PyOpenGL are pretty
good. Tried those yet? Also check out the OpenGL examples that are included
with the Pygame docs. Finally, OpenGLContext (which includes the NeHe
tutorials) is good.

OpenGLContext: http://pyopengl.sourceforge.net/context/documentation.html

You'll definitely want to keep an eye on the PyOpenGL reference itself:
http://pyopengl.sourceforge.net/documentation/index.html

I found that sometimes topics were more clearly understood after looking at
the reference from the above link and examining the behavior of a given
command, what params it expects, etc, and noting some of the topics discussed
within the reference (this can provide helpful clues sometimes when you're a
bit foggy on something).

The NeHe tutorials and the Pygame OpenGL examples are the main references I
recall using.....seems like I did reference a few other tutorials and help
pages, but those two were the main resources. Additionally, just playing with
the code and seeing what happens can be pretty helpful.

Don't worry about the math stuff, heh.......I don't understand most of the
math I see in the PyOpenGL reference, and I'm at a loss as to explain how to
do matrix math (touched on it briefly a few years back in college and
promptly forgot it all). :) If you're strong on trig and geometry you should
be fine for most normal stuff.

	-Matt Bailey