Re: [pygame] "Crazy Machine" type game?

I'm working on something along these lines - http://sf.net/projects/pen/ Any interest in joining me?

--Mike

Joe Strout wrote:
Hi all,

I'm new to pygame, and only recently returned to Python after nearly a decade in the REALbasic world. So I hope you'll speak slowly and use small words. :)

I've got the bug to create a game similar to the classic games "Incredible Machine" and "Crazy Machine". For those not familiar, it amounts to giving the player a palette of pieces that they can arrange in a 2D grid to make Rube Goldberg-style machine that accomplishes some goal. Pieces include weights, balls, balloons, electrical components, fans, candles, rockets, ropes, pulles, gears, monkeys on bicycles, and so on. It's a little like the Flash game "Fantastic Contraption" [1], but with far more (and more fun) parts.

As an open-source networked game, it could be especially fun, as anyone could contribute their own challenges, and we could keep stats online regarding how many people have attempted or solved each one.

Is there already anything like this started in Python? (I searched the pygame archives, but didn't see anything.)

If not, have you any advice on how to approach it in the Pygame world? I was thinking of trying PyODE for the physics simulation (hopefully that will run cleanly on all platforms, and not just Windows, as that is a firm constraint for me). For the graphics, all I need is basically 2D sprites that can move, rotate, and change their image -- from the Pygame examples I've seen, that should be no problem. But what do y'all think?

Thanks,
- Joe

[1] http://fantasticcontraption.com/