Re: [pygame] ANNOUNCE: beta 0.1 of sForzando

On Wednesday 24 October 2001 01:47 pm, you wrote:
> Nat Budin wrote:
> > Check out the tests package for some examples of what sForzando is
> > capable of, and keep in mind that we plan to keep on expanding the
> > library - this is only a first, preliminary version.  Any feedback
> > (comments, questions, suggestions, etc.) would be greatly appreciated.
> > Thanks very much!
>
> i just had a chance to play with all the tests. looking over the code
> i'm impressed. it seems like you guys have done this sort of thing
> before? i look forward to seeing more, plus a chance to play with second
>   banana :]

Well, this is our first attempt at a general game API, but it's something
like a second or third generation attempt - it's adapted from C++ code which
used Allegro, with which we had all kinds of memory issues and things.
Python fix everything ;)

About 2nd Banana - we have some editor and runtime code written, but
eventually it's going to become part of sForce - the tile maps and
conversation trees will become sForce widgets.  Also, when I wrote the CCNode
classes, that seemed to break most everything in Banana, so I really need to
rewrite a lot of the code.

> it looks like you plan on sforzando being a lower level library to your
> more ambitious sforce project (which sure looks interesting). in the
> meantime, i know one thing that could really make sforzando useful is a
> set of tools for creating high quality game menus, setup screen,
> easy and flexible set of functions/widgets would be a big help for every
> pygame project out there.

We could definitely put that together pretty easily.  Once I have some menu
classes running (which was actually the next thing I planned to do), I can
code up some examples of how to use them in the context of a larger game.

> you now have the bottom entry on the pygame projects page :]
> http://www.pygame.org/projects/#SFORZANDO

Thanks!

> btw, the fps seemed a little lower than what i expected? maybe you are
> redrawing the whole screen each frame?

Hmm.  What FPS are you getting?  Also, what OS are you running it on?  I'm
developing almost entirely in Linux, using Red Hat 7.  I had been running
7.1, and getting somewhat low framerates in windowed mode (+-60 FPS), but I
just upgraded to 7.2 and framerates went up to 120 FPS.  My guess is that
it's because 7.2 uses XFree86 4.1 and 7.1 uses 4.0.1, but I don't know for
sure.  Anyway, using DGA should increase the framerates by a lot, no matter
what version of X you're using.

Thanks, I'll have to check out PyMousetrap; it sounds like it could be really
useful.

Nat