Re: Distribution of Work (was: Re: [pygame] quadtrees)

On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 07:35 pm, Gerrit Holl wrote:
> I asked a question about quadtrees, but collision checking wasn't my
> problem. I asked the wrong question. Most time is spent with graphics.

Interestingly enough, I found exactly the same thing with my OpenGL efforts -
after I'd implemented the C-level octree and frustum culling, I switched to
using display lists. I could render several versions of the scene using
display lists with no culling in the time it took to render one culled scene
:)

> The following table shows the amount of time spent on graphics at
> different resolutions. Are those figures normal?

Normal for what? :)

> Resolution      %graphics   fps (+/- 5)
> 320x200         44          30
> 640x480         59          20
> 800x600         63          10
> 1024x768        76          7 (+/- 2)
>
> This is on a P3 730 MhZ with 256 MB Memory and 8 MB Video Memory.

What are you trying to render?

    Richard