Re: [pygame] Introducing Pygame Launcher alpha

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 20:15:59 +1000, Glen Wheeler <adsl5lcq@tpg.com.au> wrote:
>  Well, I'm not sure about the general public but I would rather the extra
> 4-5 megs not be there.  I don't think pygame is designed to work with
> wxPython, so the union in a generic launcher doesn't seem to make sense to
> me.

I think you're right, wxPython is probably not used often enough in
games to justify the size. So, I made all the wx stuff into an
optional add-on that can be downloaded separately. Did the same thing
for twisted, which was another large package that is probably not used
that often in games.

Of course, having separate add-ons takes away some of the simplicity
advantage of the launcher, but if the number of add-ons stays small
and they are only utilized by a handful of games (while the majority
runs with the base launcher), I think they are worth it. Of course,
the beta and final versions will have an all-in-one package available
too, for those users who don't mind the download size.

The alpha 7 available from http://people.cc.jyu.fi/~shang/pyg/ should
be pretty functional, and is probably quite close to the first real
release version feature-wise. So, I encourage anyone interested in the
project to give it a test whirl and report any problems you might have
with creating and running .pygs. I'm especially interested in hearing
if the binary version works with all the different flavors of Windows
when they don't have Python installed.

--
Sami Hangaslammi