Re: Mailing list vs. forum - WAS: Re: [pygame] Question about .bmp files and transparency

On Wednesday, Sep 10, 2003, at 06:48 America/New_York, R. Alan Monroe wrote:

Another thing.. Are there any specific reason for having a mailinglist
and not forum/message board(s)?
Personally I don't care for web forums because the screen is covered
with wall-to-wall crap like sigs, avatars, buttons, ads, etc. (leaving
very little room for actual content, which is usually in some hard to
read color) They are slow to load, too. I'll take plain ascii email
any day, which only needs two buttons (next message and reply) and
loads instantly.
A newsgroup is really the right medium for this, but nobody uses news readers anymore. There is http://gmane.org/ though, as pete mentioned (while I was writing).

IMHO (off the top of my head)

mailing list:
pros -
easy to use clients
easy to contact people off-list
local mirror of as much as you want that works reliably offline (email client willing)
you still get a searchable web archive
you can cross-post to multiple email lists (i.e. pygame-users@seul.org and pythonmac-sig@python.org)
everyone else (wrt open source, esp python) uses mailing lists and/or newsgroups, not forums
spell checker
cons -
not all email clients are created equal wrt threading, sorting, searching
lots of duplicate emails (reply-to-all is common for some lists, but not this one b/c of the reply-to: header)
spam (but you get this anyway)

forums:
pros -
the web archives are usually a bit nicer, but this is a solvable problem for mailing lists
you don't necessarily expose yourself to spam
cons -
missing all the pros of email
inconsistent user interface
separate credentials for every forum