Re: [pygame] Executable creation blues

On 9/28/06, Greg Ewing <greg.ewing@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Bob Ippolito wrote:

> The other pathological case is where a C extension invokes the import
> machinery, which happens a bunch in the stdlib (e.g. importing codecs,
> warnings, etc.). py2app has complete coverage of these scenarios in
> the stdlib (as of Python 2.4, anyway), but I don't believe that py2exe
> does.

Seems like the various packager development efforts
could benefit from more cooperation with each other.
All the platform-independent knowledge about how to
find dependencies ought to be factored out and made
available in a way that all packagers can use.

I already did this with modulegraph. It's up to other people to use it though, I don't have the time or interest to make patches for other people.

Deciding on a common user interface for packagers
would help, too. Currently each one has its own
unique way of going about things.

Since when? py2exe and py2app are almost the same until you start using platform specific features.

-bob