Re: [pygame] Tutorial... GUI

On, Wed Sep 26, 2007, RR4CLB wrote:

> Hi!
>
>     I have asked about tutorials and a good explanation on how to
> place a button or radial button on a page and I can not seem to find a
> good explanation or location to clearly give those examples. I was
> given a reference to GUI's and that to was hard to figure out,
> especially for a blind user. The format is not very user friendly.

The reference to the GUIs describes OcempGUI and PGU, of which each has
its strengths and weaknesses. There were several new GUIs released the
last time, namely GooeyPy, Blackwings (development seems to be stalled)
and UIX (no idea about it).

>     I have loaded on my computer is Window OS version Python 2.5 and
> it has stuff on TK and TCL and I do know that the SDL commands
> work. It just does not tell me how to turn it on, the editors...

I do not know, what you exactly mean here. What does not tell you what
to turn on?

>     But my issue is how to install one or 2 buttons on a page for
> command entry or selection in a game that is not totally free
> running. I am transporting my game so it can be user controlled so
> that any action given does wait for the result. Just like a
> commander is giving orders and those orders are applied after the
> command is entered.

What does page mean here? Do you want to display the buttons within the
pygame window or on a separate window?

>     Granted most gamers like fast action stuff, but blind users cannot
> unless lots of sound embedded, which might be a future game for me
> to write.

>     But at the moment I want to know how to have some buttons on a
> page, radial button for a selection list of commands so the game
> can have some user input, not just mouse clicks. If someone has
> used these in the past it would be nice to have a copy with good
> commenting on how it works and why stuff is used.

PGU and OcempGUI, both being pygame based UI frameworks support keyboard
navigation and at least OcempGUI matching events to implement e.g. sound
output on input focus changes. However, currently each pygame GUI
toolkit lacks support for accessibility providers. The Tk toolkit does
so as well, if I remember correctly.

Can you please elaborate on how you want the buttons to be displayed
(separate window or on (within) the pygame window)?

Regards
Marcus