Re: [pygame] Python and Pygame Beginner and Win32 API

On, Mon Sep 24, 2007, RR4CLB wrote:

> Hi!
>
>     I am a blind programmer and can not get any books so I have to
> either have an on-line tutorial or some kind of syntax library that
> explains how to setup, and define, and use windows api or win32 api.
>
>     So, does anyone know where I can get an explanation on how to use
> and write Windows API calls for Python and Pygame?
>
>     I am first interested in radial buttons, combo boxes, and buttons
> to jump to or call functions... For I have read the library and such
> for python and pygame and no detailed description or mention of the
> win32 api calling structure and such.

Creating buttons and co on a pygame window is quite complex and tricky,
if that's what you want to achieve. Using them as separate user
interface while showing other parts on the pygame window can become
pretty tricky as well. As user interface toolkits tend to have their own
message processing loops for dealing with events you will have to keep
them synchronized (pygame's and the toolkits loop), add watch states and
such stuff.

As far as I know, some Gtk+ developers (http://www.gtk.org) achieved to
write some kind of embedded widget, that deals with SDL (on which
pygame's settled), but I cannot remember the link to it.

However, if you need a GUI to be displayed within the pygame window, I
strongly recommend you to use one of the existing UI toolkits for
pygame. All unfortunately suffer from missing accessibility features at
the moment, such as screen reader support and similar stuff. If that's
no concern, go with them. You can find several ones at
   http://www.pygame.org/projects/9

Maybe we can help in a better way, if you explain, what you want to
achieve with the user interface elements (keep in mind, that - if you
focus on Win32 only - your application or game will only have some very
limited portability).

Regards
Marcus