Re: [pygame] Python and Pygame Beginner and Win32 API

Hi John!

    I will check it out later. I just have to see if these things can run using my screen reader. Linix is all text based, but when someone throws a graphic screen in, all bets are off.

    So, I will see. I know that forms are very complex and a pain. My Star Trek program has the user enter a 3 letter command, or sighted, select from a combo box. That is why I am doing this.

    Thanks, I hope I find what I am looking for. All before written in basic and Java Script.

        Bruce

On Sun, Sep 23, 2007 at 10:10:31PM -0400, RR4CLB wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I am a blind programmer and can not get any books so I have to either
> have an on-line tutorial or some kind of syntax library that explains
> how to setup, and define, and use windows api or win32 api.

Hi,

I find ctypes:
http://python.net/crew/theller/ctypes/

to be the simplest way to call the Win32API from Pygame. It is available
as a built-in module for Python 2.5, and an installable module for 2.4
and below.

> So, does anyone know where I can get an explanation on how to use and
> write Windows API calls for Python and Pygame?

The ctypes tutorial is here:
http://python.net/crew/theller/ctypes/tutorial.html

The ctypes reference documentation is here:
http://python.net/crew/theller/ctypes/reference.html

> I am first interested in radial buttons, combo boxes, and buttons to
> jump to or call functions... For I have read the library and such for
> python and pygame and no detailed description or mention of the win32
> api calling structure and such.

I'm not sure if mixing button, combo box controls is very practical.
Most people use a GUI tool-kit that draws the controls on Pygame
surfaces directly.

There is some info about these kinds of tool-kits here:
http://www.pygame.org/wiki/gui?parent=index

which recommends 'pgu' and 'OcempGUI',

cheers,
John.