Re: [school-discuss] appindex

Michael Shigorin wrote:

Les, Doug, Appindex is great just as it is.  I've seldom been in
educational matters during last few years but when I were, went
there too and it helped.

Yes, software evolves and new projects are born but it's not
invalidating the archive.

Thanks Michael. As Les says, it won't be going away. But it would still be nice to have the records there checked and updated occasionally. There has been talk (mostly idle, mostly by me) over the years to make the AppIndex essentially a filter on a datafeed from FreshMeat, but nothing has ever been done toward that. It would require the few projects we list that aren't on FreshMeat to get listed there or be removed from our index; I don't think that would be a great difficulty. It would then give more accurate, current information on the various projects as presumably the FreshMeat entries are kept updated by the various project administrators where our entries are not.

Is anyone interested in working on this idea?

Doug Loss