Re: [school-discuss] Example teacher request for OSS

In the "futuristic" group of technology integrators/educators,  Webquests
are on the way out.  They are a good way to hook a teacher into using
technology, but not a true method for actually transforming learning.  It
seems that web 2.0 methods are taking over.
Can we include some of these also:  blog, wiki, chat, personal search
methods, etc.
Sharon

schoolforge-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on Wednesday, April 12, 2006 at 10:14
PM -0500 wrote:
>Hi Daniel, What about Webquests?
>

>----- Message from dhhoward@xxxxxxxxxxx ---------
>     Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 09:24:30 -0400
>     From: Daniel Howard <dhhoward@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>  Subject: [school-discuss] Example teacher request for OSS
>       To: schoolforge-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>

>> Further to Sharon and Justin's comments about making it easy for
>> teachers looking for open source software applications, here is a
>> request from one of my 4th grade teachers.  I scanned the App Index, and
>> the applications listed under geography look more like tools to build
>> something or complex GIS apps, as opposed to applications for students
>> to learn basic map skills, geography, or latitude and longitude.  Anyone
>> have any suggestions?  Daniel
>>

>> Hi Daniel,
>>
>> 4^th grade team is wondering in regards to one of our IB units on
>> geography--
>>
>> Does Linux edutainment have any programs for map skills, geography, or
>> latitude and longitude, etc?
>>
>> Is there some open software we could download to Linux for this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Craig
>>

>----- End message from dhhoward@xxxxxxxxxxx -----
>
>There are a few things that are not ideal about Webquests (such as the
>fact that
>they usually exhibit no understanding of licensing issues and do not push
>Web-based collaboration enough), but they are a good start.
>
>I suggest Web quests because they are educationally sound in structure and
>invite both the teacher and also the student into the process.  If the
>Webquests or Web quests (both spellings are used) don't fit a problem
>exactly,
>they are a good starting point for making one's own.
>
>A problem with Web quests, of course, is that the sites to which they
>link often
>change, thus frustrating the teacher looking for a lesson at the last
>minute.
>
>I have a lot to say about this but suffice it to say I quickly found
>some things
>your teachers could have found for themselves.  They need to realize that
>this
>is their problem, not just yours.
>
>Learning about latitude and longitude requires varioius lessons in which
>students are given the opportunity to "get" the concept and apply it at
>deeper
>and deeper levels.
>

>http://webquest.org
>Search for latitude:
>http://ballz.ababa.net/longitude/webquest.html
>
>Search on google for same:
>http://education.usgs.gov/common/primary.htm
>
>http://www.emints.org/ethemes/resources/S00000486.shtml
>
>http://www.studyworksonline.com/cda/content/article/0,,EXP374_NAV2-5_SAR376,00.shtml
>
>http://ballz.ababa.net/longitude/webquest.html
>
>I also put together this page a few years ago for the broader issues of
>working
>without textbooks or desktop software:
> [...]

Educational Technology Coordinator MSAD#52
59 Cobb Rd  Turner, ME 04282
207-225-4565               sbetts@xxxxxxxxxx
No generation in history has ever been so thoroughly prepared for the
industrial age. -- David Warlick

Information contained in this message is privileged and confidential.  If
you are not the intended recipient, you may not disclose, use, or copy,
this message.  If you have received this message in error, please delete
this e-mail plus any attachments and immediately notify the sender.