Re: [school-discuss] Just a thought.

When we began our project (K12LTSP installation), we were told that our
Linux servers were a risk until "management" realized that the
gatekeepers (network security sniffers) were running Linux trying to
keep the Windows machines from killing their own network. A year later,
we've been completely clean, of course, of the problems that plague our
windowed brethren.

Other things that may be helpful:
- FAA recently converted to RedHat
- an estimated 60% of the world's fastest computers run Linux including
the ones at Lawrence Livermore where they model nuclear weapons
- The US Department of Defense has said there's no reason to exclude OSS
- the netcraft.net numbers are waffling depending upon which way GoDaddy
is going at any given moment but the majority of internet servers and
traffic go across OSS. Internet servers are directly exposed to black
hats.
- Google and (iirc) Yahoo run Linux.
- This is typically FUD from poorly trained admins. Linux powers an
astonishing number of corporate "Windows" environments.

That may not be much help to you directly. The biggest problem folks
have in your position is that introducing Linux threatens those with
entrenched interests and sketchy admin credentials.

Best of luck,
William