Re: [school-discuss] More: Things teachers like . . .

rasjidw@openminddev.net wrote:
On Wednesday 03 December 2003 01:50, Marilyn Hagle wrote:

In my own school district (large = about 35 campuses) I have a "gag
order" on me.  I am really not supposed to try to convert anyone to
Linux - and absolutely not to install it anywhere outside my own lab.  I
put it on a friend's computer (Windows was hosed) and received a severe
verbal lashing by the district's Tech Director.  Having an outlet to
share - like speaking at this convention - is really great.

I have reports of this sort of thing from Local Government agencies. It's the first I have heard of it from a School district.

But, if this was my situation, I would recommend you comply with the district's Tech Director and drop it.

This is your job. You took a job in a shop that doesn't want Linux. You knew that or at least you do now.

If you want to stay involved with Open Source or FSF join a project, but keep it out of the workplace unless it's welcome.

This has been bugging me for days, so I'm going to ask:

How does something (anything) you do to a friend's computer have anything to do with the district Tech Director, or the school system in general for that matter? I assume that your friend's computer was owned by them, and not by the school system?? Therefore it should have nothing to do with anyone else except you and them. You were presumably acting as a private citizen, and not in any kind of 'official' capacity. I just don't get this at all. Am I missing something here?

Cheers,

Rasjid.