Re: [school-discuss] Feedback: Linux In Education Portal.

On Thursday 13 February 2003 2:23 am, Jonathan Hughes wrote:
> Good day,
>
> I have setup a web site that connects specific people in the education
> field (IT staff, teachers, administrators, students, and advocates) with
> concrete, good information about how they can use Linux in their
> schools. I saw there was a need for such a site.

I am not trying to get open source software and technologies implement at the
state agency where I work.  We provide network and application support to
school districts.  This looks like a great effort.  I look forward to seeing
it grow.

> I designed the Linux In Education Portal site to highlight the Linux in
> education projects that were mature and ready to be used now.

As I work to encourage open source it is important to me to be able to point
the people I need to convince to solid resources about ready-to-implement
technologies, not pie-in-the-sky.

> This site is only BETA right now...it is NOT ready to be used by the
> public (yes, I know it is on a public server but no one knows but you).
> I wanted to bring it before all of you guys first and get some
> constructive feedback about the site, the contents, design, visual
> appeal, and grammer/spelling. I am open for suggestions about what sites
> and documentation I should also include but have missed, particularly I
> am looking for websites that have lesson plans for teachers about issues
> related to using Linux and Linux based educational software. Also I
> would like to hear about websites with more information about how people
> can advocate for the use of Linux in education (ie HOWTOs,
> presentations, success stories).
>
> If you would like me to consider adding your project website into the
> Linux Links please provide me with a URL and 50 words or less
> description (sent to my personal e-mail account). In the interest of
> keeping the information to a minimum, as to not overwhelm viewers, I
> would like only US based projects unless the site/project can be clearly
> useful to any US-based school.
>
> I fear that it might look like I am not giving every site, every project
> an equal chance to shine but please understand I am trying to bring the
> minimum amount of information for the maximum amount of usefuliness to
> the viewers. That is why I am trying to keep the scope of the site
> narrow.

The tighter the focus the better to make the arguement for open source.
Here's some good education oriented links and tutorial, guides, howtos you
might be able to work into the site:
http://www.sun.com/products-n-solutions/edu/products_solutions/software/desktop_applications.html
http://suned.sun.com/US/catalog/courses/WO-1605-90.html
http://www.sun.com/products-n-solutions/edu/products_solutions/software/download/EDU_Data_Sheet.pdf
http://www.sun.com/products-n-solutions/edu/k12/
http://www.sun.com/aboutsun/comm_invest/ogp/
http://www.sun.com/products-n-solutions/edu/commofinterest/staroffice/star_tutorial/index.htm
http://www.sun.com/products-n-solutions/edu/commofinterest/staroffice/leadership.html
http://www.sun.com/smi/Press/sunflash/2002-06/sunflash.20020617.2.html
http://www.redhat.com/opensourcenow/
http://www.gnu.org/directory/
http://www.dwheeler.com/oss_fs_why.html
http://web.mit.edu/soffice/www/toc.html
http://www.disklessworkstations.com
http://www.openofficesupport.com
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/garryknight/linux/oodbase.html
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX/index.html
http://www.ibiblio.org/mdw/LDP/sag/index.html
http://www.ibiblio.org/mdw/LDP/nag/nag.html
http://k12linux.org/netadmin/
http://www.linux.org/lessons/
http://k12ltsp.org/contents.html
ftp://docs-pdf.sun.com/816-7523/816-7523.pdf

> Paticularly I would
> like the site to be useful enough that people will give out the URL to
> people as a place for them to start searching, "Yep, boss, Linux can
> work for us. I have a website for you to look up that might help you get
> a better idea how: www.linuxineducation.org,

Excellent, very useful concept for convincing management.  They don't want to
work too hard (that's why theyin management!) digging around and trying to
sort through an overwhelming amount of information... so much easier to just
not make a decision.

> Here to serve the Linux in education community :-),
> Jonathan Hughes
> declaretruth@yahoo.com

Amen!
--
Jim Anderson

"There is no such thing as perfection... only different levels of pain."

Registered Linux user #269312
http://counter.li.org